NHRA Sonoma Nationals
SONOMA, Calif. (July 28, 2015) – Sonoma Raceway will host the 28th NHRA Sonoma Nationals this weekend, July 31-Aug. 2. Below are some notes of interest in advance of this weekend’s NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series event:
• Doug Kalitta is one of two NHRA drivers to three-peat in Sonoma. Kalitta did it from 1998-2000 in Top Fuel, and John Force from 1990-92 in Funny Car. Kalitta has five total Sonoma victories, most recently in 2005.
• John Force holds the record for most NHRA career victories in Sonoma, with seven in the Funny Car class (1990-92, 1994, 2000, 2002 and 2007).
• Shawn Langdon holds the current Top Fuel elapsed time record in Sonoma at 3.743 seconds (2013), while Spencer Massey set the track Top Fuel speed record at 328.62 in 2012. Matt Hagan set both the elapsed time and speed track records in Funny Car in 2013 (3.986 seconds, 320.51 mph).
• Ron Capps, a four-time Sonoma Funny Car Champion (1997, 2010, ‘11 and ‘13), will be inducted into the Sonoma Raceway Wall of Fame during pre-event ceremonies on Sunday, Aug. 2.
• Courtney Force became the winningest female NHRA Funny Car driver with her victory in Sonoma last year. She bested dad, John Force, in the final round. She still holds that record with eight Funny Car wins.
• Erica Enders-Stevens is the only female to boast a current track record in Sonoma, which she holds for low ET in the Pro Stock class (6.512).
• Greg Anderson has the most Pro Stock wins in Sonoma with four (2005, ‘05, ‘07, ‘11).
• Two-time Sonoma Pro Stock winner Jeg Coughlin, Jr. will return for a three-race stint in Pro Stock, beginning in Sonoma. The five-time Pro Stock world champion announced last year that he would not run a full-time season in 2015.
• Joe Amato won the first-ever NHRA Top Fuel final at then-Sears Point Raceway in 1988. Other winners in the first year were Mark Oswald (Funny Car) and Harry Scribner (Pro Stock).
• Don Prudhomme is the only driver to win in Sonoma in two different professional divisions - Funny Car in 1989 and Top Fuel in 1992.
• Andrew Hines (2005, ‘08) and Eddie Krawiec (‘12, ‘14) are the only two-time Pro Stock Motorcycle winners in Sonoma.
• Antron Brown has reached the finals in both Top Fuel (2008, ‘11, ‘12) and Pro Stock Motorcycle (2004, ‘06) in Sonoma. The only other racers to reach finals in two categories are Don Prudhomme (Top Fuel, Funny Car) and Gary Scelzi (Top Fuel, Funny Car).
• Top Fuel Dragsters accelerate from 0-100 mph in 0.8 of a second and travel more than the length of three football fields in less than four seconds.
• From a standing start, NHRA Top Fuel dragsters accelerate quicker than a jumbo jet, a fighter jet and a Formula One race car.
• Top Fuel dragster leaves the starting line with a force nearly five times that of gravity, the same force of the space shuttle when it leaves the launch pad at Cape Canaveral.
28th annual NHRA Sonoma Nationals
WHAT: NHRA Sonoma Nationals
WHEN: July 31-Aug. 2
CIRCUIT: Drag Strip
2014 WINNERS: Khalid alBalooshi (Top Fuel); Courtney Force (Funny Car); Jason Line (Pro Stock); Eddie Krawiec (Pro Stock Motorcycle)
INFORMATION: 800-870-RACE (7223), racesonoma.com/nhra
2015 Major Events
At Sonoma Raceway
Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival
Toyota/Save Mart 350
NHRA Division 7 drag races, presented by Korbel
NHRA Sonoma Nationals
July 31-Aug. 2
GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma
Classic Sports Racing Group